The purpose of the product council is to set the strategic product direction, allocate product resources and investments, and provide a level of oversight of the company’s product efforts. This group is not trying to set the company’s business strategy, but rather—given the business strategy—come up with a product strategy that will meet the needs of the business.
The Product Council plays an important role in the Roadmapping process.
- COO or Division GM
- CPO/Head of Product/VP/Director of Product Management (leader of the product council)
- VP/Director of User Experience Design
- VP/Director of Marketing
- CTO/VP/Director of Engineering
- VP/Director of Customer Service
- (VP/Director of Site Operations)